September 4, 2011 § Leave a Comment
“Study technology works on everything in Life. Life is light. You can make
light do anything you want to. Photography means ‘light writing.’”
In learning photography I came across ways to learn.”
“The first barrier to study is Absence of Mass or Physical Object one is studying.
The second barrier to study is Too Steep a Study Gradient
The third barrier to study is All becomes distinctly blank beyond a word not understood or wrongly understood.”
”Grammar is the way words are organized into speech and writings so as to convey exact thoughts, ideas and meanings amongst people. It is essentially a system of agreements as to the relationship of words to bring about meaningful
Word Clearing – Education Understanding “The relay of ideas from one
mind to another mind or minds depends upon words, symbols, sounds, pictures, emotions and past associations. Primary amongst these, in any developed culture, are words. These can be written or spoken.”
Teaching ”If one wishes a subject to be taught with maximal effectiveness, he should:
1. Present it in its most interesting form.
2. Present it in its simplest form (but not necessarily its most elementary).
3. Teach it with minimal altitude (prestige)
4. Present each step of the subject in its most fundamental form with minimal material derived therefrom by the instructor.
5. Stress the values of data. Form patterns of computation in the individual with regard only to their usefulness.
6. Teach where data can be found or how it can be derived, not the recording of data. Be prepared, as an instructor, to learn from the students.
7. Treat subjects as variables of expanding use which may be altered at individual will.
8. Teach the stability of knowledge as resident only in the student’s ability to apply knowledge or alter what he knows for new application.
9. Stress the right of the individual to select only what he desires to know, to use any knowledge as he wishes, that he himself owns what he has learned.”
Mis-understood or not-understood are terms used to define any error or omission in comprehension of a word, concept, symbol or status.
Most people go around thinking that a misunderstood is just something they obviously don’t know–a “not-understood.”
A “not understood” is a misunderstood, but there are additional ways a person cn misunderstand a word. [excerpt from the Student Hat]
A MISUNDERSTOOD WORD OR SYMBOL IS DEFINED AS A WORD OR SYMBOL, FOR WHICH THE STUDENT HAS:
1. A FALSE (TOTALLY WRONG) DEFINITION: A DEFINITION THAT HAS NO RELATIONSHIP TO THE ACTUAL MEANING OF THE WORD OR SYMBOL WHATSOEVER.
2. AN INVENTED DEFINITION: An invented definition is a version of a false definition. The person has made it up himself or has been given an invented definition. Not knowing the actual definition, he invents one for it. This is sometimes difficult to detect because he is certain he know it; after all, he invented it himself.
3. AN INCORRECT DEFINITION: A definition that is not right but may have some relationship to the word or symbol or be in a similar category.
4. AN INCOMPLETE DEFINITION: A definition that is inadequate.
5. AN UNSUITABLE DEFINITION: A definition that does not fit the word as it is used in the context of the sentence one has heard or read.
6. A HOMONYMIC (one word which has two or more distinctly separate meanings) DEFINITION: A homonym is a word that is used to designate several different things which have totally different meanings; or a homonym can be one of two or more words that have the same sound, sometimes the same spelling, but differ in meaning.
7. A SUBSTITUTE (SYNONYM–a word which has a similar but not the same meaning) DEFINITION: A substitute definition occurs when a person uses a synonym for the definition of a word. A synonym is not a definition. A synonym is a word having a meaning similar to that of another word.
8. AN OMITTED (MISSING) DEFINITION: An omitted definition is a definition of a word that the person is missing or is omitted from the dictionary he is using.
9. A NO-DEFINITION: A no-definition is a “not-understood” word or symbol.
10.A REJECTED DEFINITION: A rejected definition is a definition of a word which the person will not accept. The reasons why he will not accept it are usually based on emotional reactions connected with it.
The person finds the definition degrading to himself or his friends or group in some imagined way or restimulative to him in some fashion.
Although he may have a total misunderstood on the word, he may refuse to have it explained or look it up. ~L. Ron Hubbard